Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Do they have fake dogs to practice grooming like they do for people hairdressers?

where can i get one?Do they have fake dogs to practice grooming like they do for people hairdressers?
I dont think so....But try calling a groomer facility and ask them how they learned to become groomers. Not everyone goes to school to learn grooming- some start out as bathers and work their way up.Do they have fake dogs to practice grooming like they do for people hairdressers?
Good question. I sure somewhere they do.
I have never heard of this. Most groomers-in-training learn by apprenticeship and practice under the supervision of a seasoned dog groomer. When I learned how to groom, I practiced first with ';bathing and brushing'; then ';roughing out'; dogs (using blades to shorten hair to prepare the dog for the finished grooming), ';face, feet and tail'; on poodles, and then as I gained experience and had plenty of observation I learned scissoring. After working with a groomer for a few years, I went on my own and opened a grooming dept. in a large pet store.


While in training, some dogs were groomed for free in order to practice a groom on a dog for a rare breed (like a poodle getting groomed like a Bedlington Terrier).


Some things learned while grooming: How to go with the grain of the hair and watch for swirl patterns, how to handle dogs that were nervous, how to secure potential or known biters, how to split mats and work them out, which blades to use for specific areas and types of clips and a whole lot more. It would be too expensive to practice this on inanimate objects, both in recreating the swirl patterns, flaps in the ears, etc and then once shaved the hair doesn't grow back..
Yes they do - but mostly they are used for competition. They are very expensive and once you've ';groomed'; them you can't really ';re-groom'; them. Most groomers learn to groom on real live dogs.
No, I don't believe they do.
Hmm. . . I never thought about that!
yes, try


WWW.ZENKCORP.COM


they come in shih tzu and poodle
Not that I'm aware of. When I learned grooming, it was at a poodle kennel, and we used the kennel dogs to learn before working on a customer's dog. The good news is that the hair grows back if it's cut crooked or too short!
I have never heard of that but, it is a great idea.


You could practice with your friends dogs but, make sure they understand what you are going to do.


Also a word of caution with long coated dogs you need to be very careful I have a dog with a rear dew claw and I almost trimmed it off the one day.. Be careful of dew claws..


I practice grooming on my spayed dog so if I mess up then I don't have to worry about going to dog shows with a dog that is a mess.


Once I get a technique down then I feel comfortable trimming my show dogs...


I don't want to mess up my show dogs coat Believe me I have done it in the past and I don't want to do it again, I was VERY embarassed...
just use a stuffed poodle....
Nope. What you do is use doggie ';models';, borrow friends dogs, use shelter dogs, or advertise for free grooms. If you go to grooming school they provide the dogs.

No comments:

Post a Comment